- BIO 130 Physical and Chemical Properties of Soil Lab Quiz
1. What is the name of your soil's texture? Remember that soil texture is a scientific classification, and not a descriptive term. (3 points)
How did you decide on this texture classification? Cite evidence about how your soil behaved and felt when you did your soil texture analysis using the criteria from the USDA flowchart that you used (i.e., did your soil form a ball, a ribbon, and was it gritty or smooth?) to help you to determine the texture of your soil. (7 points)
2. Upload a picture of your soil sample here from your computer. Make sure your name is IN the picture.
If you worked with (a) lab partner(s), please make sure all of the names in your group are in the picture. Each member of the group may upload the same picture
3. Pre-lab reading: Soil texture refers to the _________________.
4. Physical properties of soil: If you added 100 mL of water to a soil, and 55mL of water drained from the soil, what is the % water retention of this soil?
5. Water Retention video: Based on your observation of these two different soils, do soils with high sand or high clay content drain quickest?
6. Collecting your sample: How did you ensure that the sample of soil that you used to analyze for different physical and chemical properties was the same (homogeneous) for each test?
7. Case study question. You collect a soil sample that when wet can retain a ball shape, a long ribbon without breaking, and is smooth when you rub it between your fingers. Based on this evidence, it is most likely a
8. Pre-lab reading: Which of the following elements is NOT considered to a limiting reagent for growth that is often added to soil fertilizers?
9. After performing the "USDA Qualitative Test for Soil Texture", I determined that my soil texture was _______________. Type in your soil texture and check that the spelling is correct from the chart. Leave spaces between words. For example, type "clay loam" with spaces between the words and no caps (and without the quotes, of course).
10. Loam soil is composed mostly of which soil particle size?
11. Water retention video. Based on your observation of these two different soils, do soils with high sand or high clay content hold the most water?
12. Chemical properties of soil: The cap and capsule for the pH test was ___________ in color