- BIO 130 Extra Credit Isle Royale Lab Quiz
1. From "Exercise 2: The Wolves Arrive", what is the approximate stable moose population (i.e., carrying capacity) when wolves are present? Look at the range of high and low population values and use the approximate "average" number between the highs and lows
2. Balsam Fir grows in the mountainous regions of Arizona, Utah and Colorado
3. Few bull (male) moose live more than 15 years
4. From "Exercise 3: Changes in the Weather", how did the average moose and wolf populations during a "short" growing season compare to the "normal" growing season?
5. In population growth mathematical models, the letter "K" stands for ______________.
6. Where is Isle Royale?
7. From "Exercise 3: Changes in the Weather," the "paradox of enrichment" was seen in the simulation when the populations oscillated more dramatically (both up and down) with a longer growing season, which led to extinction of some species
8. From "Exercise 2: The Wolves Arrive", the mean (average) fat stores value for moose is higher when wolves are present
9. In "Exercise 1: The Moose Arrive," what was the approximate size of the stable moose population (i.e., the carrying capacity)? Note, each simulation is unique and will give slightly different results, so pick the answer that is closest to your results
10. From "Exercise 3: Changes in the Weather", how did the average moose and wolf populations change under a "Long" growing season BEFORE any went extinct?